For your next continuity clue installment, I quote directly from the liner notes for “The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny” on “We’re only in it for the Money” (...and if you have to ask who that’s by, you shouldn’t be here!)
Obviously, these instructions are specific to deciphering that song, but the parallel to solving the Riddle of the Secret Rooms should be obvious.
instructions for the use of this material...
1. If you have already worked your way through “IN THE PENAL COLONY ” by Franz Kafka, skip instruction #2, #3, #4.
2. Everybody else: go dig up a book of short stories & read “IN THE PENAL COLONY. ”
3. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PIECE UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE STORY.
4. After you have read the story, put the book away & turn on the record player...it is now safe to listen. (DO NOT READ AND LISTEN AT THE SAME TIME).
5. As you listen, think of the concentration camps in California constructed during world war II to house potentially dangerous oriental citizens...the same camps which many say are now being readied for use as part of the FINAL SOLUTION to the NON-CONFORMIST (hippie) PROBLEM today. You might allow yourself (regardless of the length of your hair or how you feel about greedy wars & paid assassins) to imagine YOU ARE A GUEST AT CAMP REAGAN. You might imagine you have been invited to try out a wonderful new RECREATIONAL DEVICE (designed by the Human Factors Engineering Lab as a method of relieving tension and pent-up hostilities among members of the CAMP STAFF...a thankless job which gives little or no ego gratification...even for the chief warden).
6. At the end of the piece, the name of YOUR CRIME will be carved on your back.
[you can also substitute “essene” for “In the Penal Colony” to get the full effect in the Branch Floridian context, but that is recommended only for advanced Secret Room students. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!]